Tuesday, March 24, 2009

Silverlight Presentation Design Rules...

Anyone that knows me well knows I'm in to rules. I have lots of them and even a little black rule book I like to use for fun (ie, Rule number 4 is Mexican food is good so long as it is not authenticate, this way I have an excuse to not eat food that is the least bit spicey.) . I realize this is a bit OCD and all but I like things that are OCD...

anyway over mix I wrote down a few short rules of thumbs for doing Silverlight Presentations (or any other kind) and much of this comes out of the theme at MIX that it is about the design, on top of the fact I have been reading alot of trending related books pointing to an increase in the need to be about design.

For me that is a hard thing. I have always been good at art, namely drawing and sculpting and much of the work I do in support of my 'hobbies' end of being works of Art. and if truth be told I'm probably better suited to be an artist then a programmer, however I just love the logic of coding. That all being the case I'm trying to send me self down the road of being a UX designer archtect sort of role and it starts with some rules I put to gether to statisfy my OCD.

So here they are:


1. Power point is evil.
2. Designs, UX, Images or even power point slides are never about a message or getting information accross but about emotion.
3. A 'Deck' should never be able to stand along and make since.
4. A Visual 'AID' is not an outline.
5. When a picture is worth a thousand words... is when you use a picture.

Along those lines we will see how far I get down that 'UX' Designer Architect... path.